Cumulating knowledge in the U tower
Climate and climate change are complex topics that constantly fuel debates, especially in politics and in public. In the Ruhr area, smart brains have thought hard on how to present those topics in a comprehensive and descriptive way. The results can be inspected on Oktober 02 at the "ScienceNight Ruhr" – including some contributions from ISAS.
To round off the kick-off week of the "klimametropole ruhr 2022" project – which, by the way, offers lots of expositions, excursions, sightseeings, talks und presentations about climate protection – the organizers have planned a very special event: the "ScienceNight Ruhr". From 4 pm to midnight, visitors will get the chance to experiment, puzzle, watch and listen to scientists and experts in different locations in Duisburg, Kamp-Lintfort, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum and – last but not least – in the U tower in Dortmund.
Several teams from ISAS contribute to the program:
- Joachim Franzke and his team will present some experiments from 4 to 8pm. They will explain why the results of chemical and physical experiments totally depend on the sample volume and why and when a "pocket laboratory" can be useful.
- The team around Roland Hergenröder will show their visitors from 5 to 10 pm how to walk on "water" – using non-newtonic liquids.
- At 6 pm Alex von Bohlen will explain why microscopes and other measurement devices grow larger the smaller the examined objects are.
- Albert Sickmann will compare a TV crime laboratory with real work in a modern lab .
- Rene Zahedi, Robert Ahrends, Ulrika Westerlind and their team will share their knowledge about lipids, proteins and sugar via simple experiments and join-in actions from 5 to 11 pm.
- And last but not least there will be a picture puzzle from the microcosm: What‘s behind the strange landscapes and form visualized by an electron microscope?
All information on the rest of the program, on where to buy tickets and on how to get to the ScienceNight locations can be found on www.wissensnacht.ruhr.
BIO.NRW academy: Cooperation agreements in R&D projects
On May 22, the network BIO.NRW organized the BIO.NRW academy event "Cooperation agreements in R&D projects" at ISAS Campus in Dortmund. Several speakers provided basic information on the topic, presented examples of best practice or pointed out the Dos and Don'ts with regard to the Horizon 2020 program.
More information on the program can be found in the > program flyer.
21st Workshop on Micromethods in Protein Chemistry
From July 1 to 3, the 21st "Workshop on Micromethods in Protein Chemistry" took place at Zeche Zollern in Dortmund. The conference featured numerous talks on modern methods in protein analysis, two contests for hands-on experience and a Young Talent Award. It was open to all interested protein and proteome researchers.
21st User Meeting on X-ray Fluorescence at ISAS
The "21st User Meeting on X-ray Fluorescence and Spark Emission Spectroscopy" took place at ISAS Campus in Dortmund on March 11 and 12. The meeting was organized by the DASp ("Deutscher Arbeitskreis für Angewandte Spektroskopie") in collaboration with ISAS, the Münster University of Applied Sciences, the University of Hamburg and the chemist committee of the “Stahlinstitut VDEh”. The user meeting was designed to bring science and industry together, to promote the exchange of ideas and to initiate new developments. Several short talks gave an overview on new instrumental developments, solutions to current problems and especially on the application of those methods in laboratories of different sectors of the industry.